Dear Queen of Peace Families,
Here are a few Queen of Peace School “Did you know?” items:
- Did you know that it is Spring Break next week? Classes will not be in session March 20 through 24. I hope you are able to enjoy some family time together.
- Did you know that we have three new interactive “smartboards” installed? There is a new one in each of our Kindergarten, 1st Grade, and 2nd Grade classrooms! As of this week, we can use them for display purposes. Teachers will soon also be receiving training on utilizing the software and “touch” features. These wonderful pieces of technology are thanks to a $10,000 donation from a local individual who helps our school in many ways.
- Did you know that, thanks to a matching grant from the area Knights of Columbus 4th Degree Assembly, we now have 14 new iPads? These are added to the two we already had on hand. We are adding and evaluating apps and methods for students to make the best use of these learning tools.
- Did you know that Kindergarten Roundup was held on Monday March 13th? We had a very good turnout, but it’s not too late if any friends or family didn’t make it to roundup. Please contact the school office if you, or someone you know, would like to register, or find out more about Kindergarten at Queen of Peace.
Congratulations to our Destination Imagination teams!
All four of our DI teams placed either 1st or 2nd in their categories and are going to State, following the Regional competition at Proctor HS last Saturday. The State DI competition will be held on Saturday April 22nd at Jackson Middle School/Champlin Park High School in Champlin, in the northern Metro area.
Mardi Gras – Final figures!
Our Mardi Gras committee has now calculated the final net figure: $30,229.00. What a wonderful evening it was! Congratulations to everyone involved! The Mardi Gras Committee Thanks You!
Soup Supper – We are seeking help and participation from school families able to bring soup for the “soup supper” date on Friday April 7. Stations of the Crosswill begin at 5:30 pm, so the soup will need to be ready to serve around 5:50 or so. Donations of different kinds of meatless soups, some rolls or bread sticks, and probably some fresh veggies are needed. Coffee, water and lemonade will already be there and we won’t need paper products as the napkins and cups that are there can be used. Bowls, etc. can be washed in the dishwasher. Donations of soup can be brought in hot around the serving time or left in the refrigerator earlier in the day (or even the day before if necessary). Rolls and veggies can come in either Thursday or Friday. >>>>>>>
Volunteers to help serve and clean up would also be appreciated. It is served buffet style, so there is not a lot of work involved overall. Anyone willing and able to donate or work is asked to contact Mary Marquis, as she will coordinate our efforts. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Cellphone: 218-310-3102.
Thanks for helping with this Lenten tradition!
Lenten projects: Fasting, Prayer, and Almsgiving
Parents and families are welcome to join us for Stations of the Cross throughout Lent, on Wednesdays at 1:30 p.m.
3rd Grade Project for Ella, a Proctor 3rd grader with bone cancer:
Monday March 27th- Favorite Jersey Monday – wear your favorite team jersey, because Ella loves team sports, and wear your favorite hat. Bring a dollar or more, to support finding a cure for childhood cancer.
Pennies for Patients: As in past years, we are participating in the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s program to raise money to help in the fight against blood cancer. The dates are February 10 through March 30. Students brought home a flyer and a collection box back on Friday, February 10th. Students are encouraged to collect dollars, checks, and change to help with the Pennies for Patients effort. More information is available online at:http://events.lls.org/pages/mn/QueenOfPeaceCatholicSchool-2017
CRS Rice Bowl: Through Catholic Relief Services, we encounter our brothers and sisters most in need around the world. 75% of Rice Bowl donation supports programs around the world, such as food for children in need of food in Africa. 25% of your donation helps ease hunger and poverty here in our own diocese. Rice Bowl collections continues through Lent and until Easter. Please collect small change and bills to help. Students are asked to bring their filled rice bowls back to school after Easter break. We will combine all the donations and send a check to Catholic Relief Services for the total.
We had some wonderful photo coverage in the Pine Journal this week.
And… Be sure to check out the video of Tim Anderson’s return from duty overseas, surprising his daughter at school this week. http://www.wdio.com/news/queen-of-peace-johonna-tim-anderson-soldier-surprise/4424715/
- Mar 17 – St. Patrick’s Day
- Mar 20-24 – Spring Break – No School
- April 7 – Science Fair (after Mass)
- April 9 – Palm Sunday
- April 14 – Good Friday (No School)
- April 16 – Easter Sunday
- April 17 – (No School) Easter Monday
Best wishes for God’s blessings to all,
from Bill Van Loh, Principal