“A Tradition of Excellence Since 1912”
Queen of Peace School was founded in 1912 as a vital part of the educational ministry of the Diocese of Duluth and that of the then Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Catholic Parish. The Great Cloquet Fire of 1918 destroyed the school along with the church, rectory and convent. The school continued uninterrupted in various make shift situations. The rebuilding of the school, rectory and convent began immediately with the church to follow. Within a year a new school was completed. The school hall served as the church for the congregation until 1926 when the present church was completed.
Rt. Rupert Seidenbusch OSB Bishop of St. Cloud first organized the parish on October 1st, 1881. This church was named Holy Name of Jesus and Mary. Rev. A. Lemay was the first pastor; Fr. Giraux incorporated the church under a new name, Our Lady of the Sacred Heart. Rev Msgr. Limmer built a new church when the former one was struck by lightning and was destroyed. He was also present when the church, school, convent and rectory were destroyed in the Cloquet fire in 1918. Fr. Lemire guided the parish from 1919-1955. The beautiful church now standing was finished in 1926. More recent changes brought two long established parishes into a consolidation, St. Casmir’s and Our Lady of the Sacred Heart. The shortage of parish priests made the consolidation necessary. Fr. Wild and Fr Walsh began this painful process. Together they created one parish from two, now renamed Queen of Peace. The union of the two parishes brought about the need for more space for all of the various parish activities. Under the leadership of Fr. Walsh, the old convent was torn down and replaced with a large addition that doubled the space available. A multipurpose parish hall, offices, gathering space, family room and a complete basement running the entire length of the new addition provided for the needs of the growing parish.
The Benedictine Sisters from The St. Scholastica Priory were invited to teach in the school from its very beginning in 1912. Over the years, vocations to the religious life were encouraged. Many of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart students entered the Benedictine sisters of the St. Scholastica Priory and have served the Diocese in many ministries for the Church. As time passed and vocations decreased the Benedictine Sisters withdrew from the school. In 1976 Bishop Anderson and Fr. Paul Fruth invited the Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist to the Diocese. Father Fruth sought to continue the educational apostolate at the school with the incoming Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist. The Franciscans then served the school for 25 years of dedicated service. The school flourished under the leadership of Mother Colleen Kimbro, FSE. From 2001 to 2008, the school was turned over to the lay faithful to continue the educational ministry that was founded by these two great religious orders. The school was returned to the leadership of the Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist under the guidance of principals Sister Therese Gutting, FSE in 2009 and Sister Janet Siepker, FSE in 2012. In 2016 the Franciscan Sisters were called away from Cloquet to serve other communities in the U.S. and Canada.